6.08.2010

The DVD Collection That I Forgot

Since I finished my undergrad work a little over a year ago, my DVD collection has sat largely unused in a pile of boxes tucked away in a quiet corner of my living space. Recently I decided to pop those boxes open and do a sort of headcount—making sure that nothing had been broken or otherwise damaged—and I was surprised to realize how many of the cases had never been opened. When I counted, I discovered that at some point during my Senior year I had bought no fewer than forty-four movies and seven seasons of television that I had  just never even bothered to watch. Many of them were films that I had seen before, but all the same…I feel a need to rectify this (personally perceived) issue.

So, over the course of the next few months I am going to try and watch the films that I forgot I owned. As I work my way through them, I will probably do a short write-up on each one. These smaller articles will probably be posted in clumps that represent a week’s worth of viewing. In the case that a film inspires some larger analysis, then those will be posted on their own. I will also likely not discuss the season box sets, because that’s an awfully large amount of content to try and craft a short consensus on.

I’ll be beginning this week with the Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall box set that Warner Brothers put out in 2005. I bought this one used because I of a sudden desperate need to own a copy of The Big Sleep, and I have never seen any of the other three films included: To Have and Have Not, Dark Passage, and  Key Largo. So be sure to look for thoughts on all four films by the end of the week.

-Sean

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best of luck in your quest to rediscover your Atlantis of lost DVD's! I've been meaning to watch some of my collection, but I've been working a lot.

    Maybe I'll post a few of my own! You can be sure to see a few responses from me, even though I'm not a film theorist like you... and probably won't make interesting points, but I'll try my best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, man. A lot of these aren't going to be super in-depth, not unless one of them really gets it's hooks in me about something. It should be an interesting experiment though. I haven't done movie reviews since I was part of a podcast about three years ago. Have to see if I've still got it or not.

    ReplyDelete