7.12.2010

INTRODUCING: Cooking Column

When I was in college, I was surprised at how many people I knew who couldn’t cook. And I don’t mean that the were just bad cooks, I mean that they didn’t know the first thing about how to use an oven. Since then, I’ve gone on to discover just how many people in general don’t know an ounce about how to prepare food for themselves beyond the bare minimum. I always found this sort of baffling, because I was allowed and encouraged to cook as a child. I thoroughly enjoy a wide variety of foods, I like to prepare them, I like to eat them, I like to talk about them...the works.

So, I got to thinking that the majority of people really do enjoy food. There are some for whom eating and subsisting is a mechanical action, yes, and there are also the obnoxious “foodies” or whatever the hell they’re calling themselves now, but there are also those other people: The people who like food and are interested in it, but don’t really know where to begin. Something like Food Network seems like the obvious choice to start with, but that’s sort of deceptive. A lot of their shows either pander excessively, or cater specifically to people who already know the fundamentals and are into some fairly advanced prep techniques. Cookbooks aren’t always that much better, numerous and often poorly written as they are. So where does that leave the people in the middle ground?

Well, for those people I now introduce Cooking Column. This project, with its stunningly uncreative name, will update once a week with recipes, technique and tool guides, and little bits and pieces from my own cooking explorations. It won’t always be a new recipe every week, it probably won’t even be something that you personally will want or need every week, but it will hopefully be something like a comprehensive look at food and cooking that can be of help to the layman and the advanced cook. So if you’re into that, be sure to come back next Monday for a new column and probably some sarcasm. I certainly look forward to both of those things.

-Sean

4 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty awesome. Between you and Neil Peart, I should learn to cook sometime...

    for more on that random addition...

    http://www.neilpeart.com/bng/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like that site. I'll have to take a closer look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will stay riveted to this. I used to cook some. Haven't really in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, I appreciate it. And please consider yourselves asked to tell me if I'm being an idiot or not when these columns come around. I've never written about food or cooking before, so I'm not a hundred percent sure how it's gonna come out.

    ReplyDelete